Across the Expanse: Day 8

First    Previous    Archive    Next

Day 8

*Start transmission*

Havardy: Any update on those pirates?

Lee: Nothing new so far, Helos says we should still keep an eye out though.

Havardy: I hate this.

Lee: What?


Havardy: This constant tension, the whole will they or won't they thing. Except this isn't some cheesy rom com, these are pirates.

Lee: Best to be on guard for now, you get an emergency kit packed?

Havardy: Yeah, looked over the map too, should take me a few hours on foot to reach the bunker. With Vera it could be much shorter.

Lee: Is it wise to take a vehicle though? They could easily spot that.

Havardy: I know this, which is why I'm going on foot if, or when, shit hits the fan. What about you?

Lee: I've got some supplies packed, but I'll probably take the shuttle-

Havardy: Sheila.

Lee: ...Sheila, and escape.

Havardy: Wouldn’t they be able to track you if you did that? I know Shelia is leagues faster than Vera, but there is no way she could outrun a pirate Cosair that easily.

Lee: Could I lose them in the Expanse?

Havardy: You wouldn't be able to pilot through all the ravines.

Lee: Could you?

Havardy: Obviously, but you're a day away from me  and I don't think you could just swing by and scoop me up without getting noticed.

Lee: Right, damn I can't think of anything else.

Havardy: Hmmmm, how close are you to the bunker?

Lee: By foot? Around half a day, and I don’t think the EVA could withstand getting iced over at night.

Havardy: Right right… Maybe you should head to the bunker preemptively.

Lee: I’ve been considering that too, but then there wouldn’t be anyone to give you the heads up.

Havardy: Should we both go then?

Lee: There’s also the chance this could just be a false alarm, so leaving our posts would give us some flak from higher up.

Havardy: What would they do? It’s not like they could put us anywhere worse.

Lee: Well we could get discharged, and there goes my sister’s tuition money.

Havardy: And my brother would probably have a hell of a time back at the Academy because of 
me…

Lee: Exactly, our hands are tied.

Havardy: Shit.

Lee: Besides, someone has to be here to send up a distress call to one of the nearby stations.

Havardy: And I gotta set the Mine into lockdown mode too.

Lee: There is also the chance that the Pirates aren’t gonna show up at all.

Havardy: Hopefully they just pass us by. Have you requested any support?

Lee: I sent a request for a fighter wing yesterday, but Command said there was no perceived threat and denied my request.

Havardy: Those assholes. Helos must have sent them reports of those sightings!

Lee: I brought that up as well, but they stated that the likelihood of an attack is negligible, so it would be a waste of resources to send out a wing in our direction.

Havardy: Goddammit. If they were so busy fighting their pointless shadow war over in the Fractus Sector they’d have enough resources for shit like this.

Lee: Either way, we’re out here like sitting ducks.

Havardy: This sucks.

Lee: Yep.

Havardy: Gah, I’m getting a headache. I’m heading off to bed early, keep me posted alright?

Lee: Will do.

*End transmission*


First    Previous    Archive    Next

Comments

Popular Posts