Across the Expanse: Day 1

This is an experiment in telling a story completely through dialogue and character interaction. I don't know where it will go or where the characters will end up, but I hope that I can keep this up for as long as I can. Feel free to leave any criticism or thoughts. 


A Warning: 
This is a very low-key sci-fi story. Those looking for a sweeping space opera will not get it here. A project like that is currently in the works, but this is something that I've started as a test to myself to see if I can update something regularly and still maintain some semblance of quality.



Archive    Next

Day 1

*Start transmission*

???: Hello? Is anyone at their post?

????:*Groans*…what is it?

???: This is Ensign Lee reporting in from the Tower. I was told to contact a Lieutenant Havardy.

Havardy: This is she. What happened to Phil?

Lee: Lieutenant Gomez was transferred over to the main fleet a few days ago. I am his replacement.

Havardy: Bastard didn’t even say goodbye… wait,  you’re his replacement?

Lee: Yes, is that a problem?

Havardy: It’s a bunch of bull is what it is! I’ve been here a year and they put some rookie in charge of the Tower? The fuck have I been doing…

Lee: I am not sure of the nature of my assignment either, but I did not mean to take your place.

Havardy: No, no… it’s not your fault. Someone up there must still be holding a grudge.

Lee: You are stationed at the Mine correct?

Havardy: Yeah, what about it?

Lee: Generally that posting is only assigned to enlisted members, was there a mistake in deployment?

Havardy: No, but I'd rather not talk about it. Enjoy the view Lee.

Lee: Ma’am?

Havardy:  The view, from the Tower. Amazing, isn’t it?

Lee: I…I suppose, there is a certain quality to it that is appealing yes.

Havardy: I’ve been trying to convince Gomez to swap with me for months. Asshole didn’t even consider it. He had the bigger room too.

Lee: Is that what you were most concerned with?

Havardy: Listen here Lee. Enough time here and all you’ll care about is the room you’re in and what you’re looking at for the next… what how long do there deployments last again?

Lee: Nine months, ma’am.

Havardy: Right, nine months, minimum. And let me tell you. I’d rather spend my days looking at the Expanse rather than looking at all these mindless drones digging away at some rocks.

Lee: The titanium from Atropos IV will support the Coalition.

Havardy: Keep telling yourself that buddy. *sigh* Anyways you were told to contact me? Need someone to show you the ropes?

Lee: I am familiar with the duties of my station. I just thought it would be good to establish communication as soon as possible.

Havardy: Right… we are the only two people on this rock. Even if the distance between us is around a day’s travel away.

Lee: Did Lieutenant Gomez keep in contact?

Havardy: Rarely, and when he did the slob would be half-drunk and rambling about his kids. Great guy.

Lee: I see…

Havardy: Formality is going to fly right out the window here Lee, remember that.

Lee:

Havardy: Anyways, contact me if you have any questions. I may be down in the mines but I know a few things about your position. I was practically doing both jobs when Gomez was around…

Lee: Understood, ma’am.

Havardy: Oh and Lee?

Lee: Ma’am?

Havardy: Stop calling me that.


*End Transmission*

Archive    Next

Comments

Popular Posts