Across the Expanse: Day 2



Previous    Archive    Next


Day 2

*Start transmission*

Lee: Lieutenant?

Havardy: Yeah?

Lee: There is something strange going on with the sensors.

Havardy: What do you mean?

Lee: I'm getting readings that are telling me there are three ships nearby, but it's sporadic. One moment they're there and another they're gone.


Havardy: Are the ships moving?

Lee: No, they just show up on the radar, then disappear.

Havardy: No visual confirmation?

Lee: Negative.

Havardy: Must be the sensors acting up again, they get like that whenever Deletros starts to flare.
Lee: But these are military grade, shouldn't they be resistant to radiation from solar flares?

Havardy: Psh, maybe ten years ago they were top of the line, but it's not like the Coalition will come out and upgrade some mine out in the Fringes.

Lee: Did Lieutenant Gomez not request new sensors?

Havardy: Oh he did. It took them about three months to get here and they were fried as soon as the first flare hit.

Lee: You mean the newer models?

Havardy: Like I said, there's no way they were gonna send that high tech equipment out here. I suspect that they spent most of the three months just digging around for a spare.

Lee: That's…

Havardy: Cheap? Uncaring? Lazy? Yeah sounds about right.

Lee: You don't seem to have a good opinion of the Coalition.

Havardy: That's putting it lightly.

Lee: But why?

Havardy: I don't feel like getting into it. I'll be clear, I don't mind the people, well, most of them. I just don't like the government itself.

Lee: But… you're a lieutenant. 

Havardy: I graduated from the Academy too, what’s your point? You think I’m here because I volunteered for the spot?

Lee: I guess not.

Havardy: Anyways, the most I can suggest is that you put some markers up where the sensors are going wonky so you know which are fake. 

Lee: Understood.

Havardy: Good now- shit.

Lee: Something wrong Lieutenant?

Havardy: Stop calling me that, and it’s nothing, just dropped my book.

Lee: Book Lieu- ma’am?

Havardy: That’s not gonna cut it either, and yes, book. Paper and all.

Lee: You aren’t using a PA?

Havardy: Let me tell you something, they can make holograms as close to the real thing as possible, but nothing will ever beat the feeling of a solid book in your hand. That being said, these things are hard to find, so yeah I use my PA most of the time.

Lee: If I may ask, what book are you reading?

Havardy: The Eternal Spiral, Tales and Accounts of a Space-time Explorer by one Steven Henry.

Lee: Ah, “Though I have been broken, twisted, and torn apart by the ravages of The Eternal Spiral, my spirit stands strong to the adversity to come.”

Havardy: Ooooooooh, a fan huh?

Lee: When I was a child, yes.

Havardy: Right, well I’d take cheesy autobiography of a dead astronaut over looking at monitors any day. Not all of us get to enjoy a view you know.

Lee: If it bothers you that mu-

Havardy: I’m just giving you shit Lee, no need to take it seriously.

Lee: Ah, sorry.

Havardy: *sigh* We’ve got a lot of work to do on your personality.


*End transmission*

Previous    Archive    Next

Comments

Popular Posts